First things first, if you’re following me on IG: @broccoliofdating you will get more frequent updates on what I’m up to and my new dating journey via my InstaStories, but you can always check back here for weekly posts. Now that that’s out of the way…
I mentioned in Here’s to Prioritizing Dating that prior to now, I secretly judged people for doing online dating. Here’s where I’ll list all the shallow reasons I so harshly criticized online dating before:
- It’s unnatural
- It’s desperate
- It’s lazy
- It could never amount to anything substantial
There’s only one of these I still struggle with a tiny bit…and that’s online dating being unnatural. For so long, I’ve been holding tightly onto this notion that I am supposed to meet a guy serendipitously, we’ll date, get married, then tell our kids all about the dreamy way that we met. Soooooo about this fantasy I’ve cooked up…kinda ridiculous! Not to say it could never happen. I’m just saying I was hyper-focused on things happening in a prescriptive way. No bueño!
Creating my first online dating profile marked a significant shift in my attitude toward dating. I was nervous as heck but oh so proud of myself for being open to trying something different.
Ultimately these are the reasons I chose to give online dating a shot:
- Why not?
- This is way different than anything I’ve ever done in the past so, it will definitely get me out of my comfort zone.
- The way my days are set up…I rarely have opportunities to interface with new people.
- It’s a good way to meet people who are just like me that desire to engage and build toward something significant.
- I have a number of close friends who have had great success with it.
At the very least, I figured it was worth a try.